St Thomas’ Church is committed to safe ministry practices and to ensuring that all paid staff and volunteers undergo safe ministry training on a regular basis. We require our leaders to hold current Working With Children Check clearances and current Safe Ministry Training qualifications.
More information about Safe Ministry in Sydney Anglican Churches is available at http://safeministry.org.au/
DATES FOR SAFE MINISTRY TRAINING
We run training annually in Feb/March (and often in Oct/Nov) for our staff and volunteers.
The next safe ministry training course that will be run at St Thomas’ is:
- Refresher safe ministry training: TBA (likely Oct/Nov)
- Beginner safe ministry training: Sunday 2/4/2017 at 9:30am (RSVP essential, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Youthworks: conduct training throughout the year & at various locations (Feb/June/Nov/other times) http://www.youthworks.net/events/SMEvent
More information about Safe Ministry Training or to “Book a place” please contact Catherine Twyman, our Safe Ministry Representative, email@example.com
This is essential training for all involved in Ministry to Children and Youth, and leaders must keep up-to-date. If you have any queries, please contact the office or speak to Catherine Twyman, our Parish Safe Ministry Representative.
All leaders in children’s ministry at St Thomas’ need to complete the new Working with Children Check (WWCC), prior to commencing as leaders.
STEPS FOR APPLYING FOR THE WWCC
- The applicant should fill out an online application at: http://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/Working-with-children/Working-With-Children-Check/apply/-apply
- The applicant will need to nominate whether they are a paid employee or a volunteer. Under child-related sector the applicant should select “religious services”.
- Once the online application has been completed a WWCC Application Number will be issued to the applicant.
- The applicant must then take their WWCC Application Number and proof of their identity to the Roads and Maritime Services registry (formerly RTA).
- If the applicant is in paid child-related employment, an application fee of $80 will be payable. There is no fee for volunteers.
- Once the application has been processed, the applicant will be advised of the outcome by email. Most applications will be processed within 48 hours.
- The applicant should immediately provide your parish (email details to firstname.lastname@example.org - please include your date-of-birth) with the WWCC Application Number in order for the check to be verified.
- After the check has been processed, the applicant will receive a clearance or a bar. Workers must receive a clearance within the time frames stated in order to undertake child-related work.